Sunday, December 20, 2015

The Life of a Flashaholic

          I know. I can't help it. I've tried for 3 years, but it just won't go away. It all started when my mom and sister had problems with their Android phones. HTC no longer supplied updates for the phone, so it was stuck on Android 4.1. However, it was worse than that. Since carriers had to approve of Android updates, my carrier, I-Wireless, didn't ever approve of the 4.1 update EVER, so my mom and sister were stuck on Android 2.3.2. They faced numerous crashes daily, freezes, TERRIBLE battery life, and just overall many bugs, and unfortunately, there was nothing either of them could do, since they had no access to updates. So I spent the course of a week learning everything I could about Android, root, bootloaders, baseband versions, S-OFF partitions, hashes, bootloader versions, kernels, ROMs, recoveries, nandroid backups, and a lot of overall confusing things, in the hopes that I could get their phones running an up-to-date Cyanogenmod, an OS that I could install and run to remove all of their problems. I ran into a lot of problems along the way, and nearly gave up after Cyanogenmod would install, but then crash the moment I would try to launch an app. However, once I finally got it to work by flashing (installing) a million different things, and nearly crying at midnight with what I thought was a bricked (software-locked, unusable) phone, I finally got them to work, and felt accomplished. This feeling would forever-more carry on with me throughout my teenage years.
          I later got my own smartphone a year later. It was a Windows 8 smartphone, but I quickly found out that it too suffered from having to wait for updates from carriers to reach it. "Who designed this system?!" I thought to myself. I soon found out that there was a developer program where, if I applied as a developer, I could install the latest OS updates right as they came out...with the risk of minor bugs. However, I didn't care, I needed to have the coolest features, like Cortana or Windows 10 Mobile. That continued for a year, until I got my very first Android phone. The phone was awesome! It had a 50MP camera feature, and it ran pretty well...but then, I too discovered that there was a Beta program that allowed me to run the latest software. So, I did some modding, and started running the latest software. However, my battery life soon started to drop, and I also started to hate the aftermarket look of the OS...it had skins all over the icons, and everything just looked too kiddish for me, soooo....I decided to modify this phone as well, and install a custom ROM called GummyROM on it, which was basically a ported Cyanogenmod. Well, that was all dandy, until I got a new phone 6 months later, which came preloaded with a version of Cyanogenmod, known as CyanogenOS. So...whoopee! That meant I didn't have to do any flashing of ROMs, and I could just live with the phone and be happy....well, that lasted for maybe 5 months, before I realized that CyanogenOS was slow to receive the updates I was eager about, as it was an actual corporate product, not a MOD, and thus, had to go through testing and Google certification....blah! -_- So I installed custom ROMs on it, such as Ressurection Remix ROM, which was very stable, fast, and gave me great battery life and the latest features. However, eventually, I got tired of running ROMs, and my phone could not use my carrier's LTE, so I wanted to get a phone that would run the latest software, give me the latest features, and be a great performer, with LTE that would work with iWireless. That led me to the Nexus 6P.
          The Nexus 6P has great features and specs, but most importantly, it runs stock Android with no ugly skins, gets great battery life, and, since it is a Nexus sold by Google, it is the FIRST to get updates! It has been a match in heaven for me. However, after owning the phone for a week and a half, I have found myself still wanting to install ROMs, as although I am running the latest bleeding-edge software, I no longer have a million customization options anymore that I had with my old modded phones. So, even on the latest and greatest, as well as cleanest, software, I find myself still churning for more, as I happen to be a strong Flashaholic.

-755 words

No comments:

Post a Comment