Sunday, October 4, 2015

Car Trackers: The Ultimate Teen Tool, The Ultimate Stalker Device

          Recently, with the rise of available tech, car trackers have risen to the charts on Amazon. The company MotoSafety published a product on Amazon for merely $61 that can simply be plugged into a car (into the diagnostic ODB2 port) under the steering wheel of the driver seat, and by pairing a smartphone within 40 feet of the car, a person can track everywhere that car drives, including speeds, fast braking, distances, and times of arrival and departure. The marketing for the device is for monitoring teen drivers. but my concern is that the device may be used to stalk untrusted spouces suspected of cheating or being where they aren't supposed to be, or other unknowing situations, where the driver is completely unaware they are being stalked. It is quite amazing technology, and I think it is great that we can buy a mini car chip that has bluetooth and GPS built in, and is capable of syncing to our smartphones and showing interactive maps, but small devices such as this make me question every time I get in my car if someone such as my parents are ever stalking me unkowningly, and I think this technology creates unknown paranoia sometimes.

-201 words

1 comment: